Position: Associate Dean
Organization: Thompson Rivers University
Unit: School of Business and Economics
The School of Business and Economics (SoBE) offers a wide array of undergraduate and graduate-level certificate, diploma and degree programs in business and economics on campus, online and in blended delivery. SoBE is a highly internationalized business school with over 60% international student enrollment. As part of the university community, SoBE is committed to the calls to action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and to partnering with Indigenous communities in this effort. SoBE is dedicated to the principles of equity, inclusion and diversity as its framework for creating a supportive learning environment in a culture of diversity and respect. The School is committed to maintaining and building on its collaborative environment.
The School prides itself on being the business school that connects the British Columbia Interior to the world.
What TRU Offers
Thompson Rivers University is located in Kamloops, British Columbia. Life in the sunny interior of British Columbia provides immediate access to some of the most incredible outdoor experiences Canada has to offer, ranging from winter sports at Sun Peaks, to some of Canada's best mountain biking and hiking trails, walking distance from TRU. Located between the Coastal and Rocky Mountains, Kamloops is within 30 minutes from hundreds of beautiful freshwater lakes, and only 3 hours from Vancouver. With a relatively mild winter and spectacularly warm and dry summers, Kamloops offers a high quality of life. While the city is still small with less than 100,000 inhabitants, it is served by an airport, a hospital, a university, a WHL hockey team, and yet still maintains a small-town feel where one never commutes longer than ten minutes. It is a safe community to raise a family and maintains reasonable housing prices.
The Associate Dean is responsible for management and supervisory functions as assigned by the Dean, including the academic coordination of programs, faculty and student affairs. The Associate Dean participates in all governance meetings of the Faculty, such as the Faculty Council and the Chair's group meetings, and liaises with other university offices in the coordination of degree and research programs. The Associate Dean is a member of the School's senior leadership team. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean and provides support in the management of the School of Business and Economics.
TRU is committed to building and fostering an inclusive environment. TRU continuously strives to increase the diversity of its faculty and welcomes applications from all, including those who identify as Indigenous, visible minorities, those having disabilities, and persons of any sexual and gender identities. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. As per Canadian immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The university will assist any candidate who requires assistance to accommodate disabilities during the recruitment process. If required, please notify us of your request with your application.
Detailed Position Description
The Associate Dean is responsible for administrative support to the Dean. The Associate Dean:
- Champions the calls to action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission
- Provides leadership in promoting equity, diversity and inclusion in the School
- Ensures that academic standards in teaching, student support and research are maintained
- Works with Chairs, Advisors and other parties on campus to address student concerns, including registration, program advising and appeals
- Liaises with the Director of Open Learning on Open Learning student academic appeals and academic progression, and leads the academic oversight of Open Learning programs and courses
- Coordinates and facilitates the development of new undergraduate and graduate programs
- Assumes responsibility for formal program and course reviews
- Ensures that the provisions of Collective Agreements are administered correctly and in accordance with administrative policies and regulations
- Works with the Dean to facilitate accreditation, articulation, study abroad, and partnership agreements, including quality assurance for offshore programs.
- Professional profile suitable for appointment as a tenured Associate or Full Professor
- Completed doctoral degree in a business or economics related discipline
- Knowledge of AACSB accreditation standards and processes.
- Substantial track record in scholarship and teaching
- A record of successful graduate student supervision
- Evidence of commitment to and record of mentoring junior faculty
- An extensive record of service, including significant administrative contributions in a leadership role
- Understanding, commitment, and experience with School of Business academic and professional accreditations, with a particular emphasis on AACSB accreditation
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Familiarity with the tri-cameral governance model of Thompson Rivers University, as outlined in the Thompson Rivers University Act https://bit.ly/3dTPt6Z
- A strong commitment to collegiality and consensus building across organizational, disciplinary, and program boundaries
- The ability to make difficult decisions and handle situations that require diplomacy and confidentiality
- Experience in curriculum, policy development and the academic approval and program review process
- Experience in multi-modal delivery (face-to-face, blended, online, and distance learning) of educational programming and demonstrated appreciation for open education practices
- Experience assessing, mitigating, and managing risk in the development and execution of articulation agreements, study abroad programs, and external partnerships
- Experience leading in a unionized environment
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview.